Saturday, January 9, 2016

DAY 8 - MARRIAGE plus REST


A few years ago I worked in Denver, about 60 miles away. I coached high school basketball near my home, was raising 5 kids, had a wife who worked into the evening sometimes and fit in trips for ministry, a cruise, and sports leagues for each child. We had very busy church activities and friend activities as well. 

As we look back on those pictures, we say, holy cow, how did we fit so much into that year?

We did not rest. 


Since that year I have had to learn to rest, with 4 teens, jobs, ministry, travel and more. How in the world do I do that?

Learning to rest, for me, has been a huge, huge challenge. I don't really even like resting. However, once I changed the way I rested, it began to be real for me. 

We can rest, emotionally, physically, mentally and even spiritually. We can rest relationally and professionally also. 

I am challenged to look at the definitions below, process what I need to do to change my mind about rest and making rest a priority. I will share some of the things we did to acquire rest and create space to be rested. 


noun
1.
the refreshing quiet or repose of sleep:
a good night's rest.
(WE BOUGHT A NEW MATTRESS, SAVED OUR LIFE, GO SLEEP NUMBER)
2.
refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor:
to allow an hour for rest.
(WE GOT RID OF CABLE, READ BOOKS MORE AND CREATED SPACES TO SIT AND REST IN OUR HOUSE, I HAVE A RECLINER IN THE BEDROOM)
3.
relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs.
(WE HAVE A LONG LIST OF PEOPLE AND THINGS WE DISTANCED OURSELVES FROM, NOT HARD WORK OR HARD PARTS OF LIFE, BUT THINGS AND PEOPLE THAT DISTURB OR TROUBLE US IN OUR SOUL AND SPIRIT)
4.
a period or interval of inactivity, repose, solitude, or tranquility:
to go away for a rest.
(WE BEGAN TAKING TRIPS OVERNIGHT IN DENVER, IN A HOTEL WITH AN INDOOR POOL, IT WAS SNOWING OUTSIDE, BUT FUN AND UNPLUGGED INSIDE. WE ALSO SEND SHANNA AWAY FOR TIME ALONE, AND I FOUND THE WONDERFUL EFFECT OF COFFEE SHOPS AND BOOKSTORES, WHERE I CAN SNEAK AWAY AND SIT ALONE. ONE OF MY FAV SPOTS IS THE LIBRARY IN WOODLAND PARK, WITH A VIEW OF THE NORTH SIDE OF PIKES PEAK)
5.
mental or spiritual calm; tranquility.
(SHANNA LIKES TO BE ALONE WITH NO ONE TALKING TO HER. SHE USES MY RECLINER, A GOOD BLANKET AND HER BIBLE/JOURNAL. WE MAY GO TO THE GYM AND PUT HEADPHONES IN AND BE ALONE, THERE IS A CALM IN MY SOUL WHEN I WALK INTO THE GYM AND FEEL THE HARD WOOD BENEATH MY FEET. I LOVE HIKING IN THE MOUNTAINS TO REMOTE LOCATIONS AND DRIVING THROUGH THE DIRT ROADS AMONG THE LARGE TREES AND BOULDERS, THIS ALL REFRESHES MY SOUL)
6.
the repose of death:
eternal rest.
(WE RELATE ETERNAL REST WITH ETERNAL SECURITY, TRUST, FOCUS AND INTERACTION. WE ARE SURE OUR ETERNAL SALVATION IS SECURE, WE KNOW DEATH WILL NOT MEAN HELL OR DAMNATION, IT WILL BE EXPLOSIVE AND NEVER ENDING JOY. TRUSTING GOD AND PUTTING OUR FOCUS ON ETERNAL THINGS HELPS US ACQUIRE REST, WALK IN A PATHWAY OF REST AND LEAVE WORLDLY PAIN BEHIND US, EVEN WHEN WE ARE LIVING RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT. WE INTERACT WITH HEAVEN, WITH ETERNAL TRUTH AND POWER, THROUGH PRAYER, WORSHIP, MEDITATION, STUDY, CONFESSION AND FELLOWSHIP WITH OTHERS WHO HAVE ETERNITY IN THEIR HEARTS)
7.
cessation or absence of motion:
to bring a machine to rest.
(LIKE SAID BEFORE, WE JUST SIT, STOP AND SIT SOMETIMES. WE ESCAPE TO THE MOUNTAINS FOR DAYS OF REST, TO JUST SIT AND REST. SOMETIMES WE WATCH A MOVIE, TAKE A NAP, READ, OR EVEN LOOK AT FACEBOOK. THESE THINGS ARE IN PLACE OF BUSY MOVEMENT AND MY TO DO LIST.)


LEARN TO REST


No comments:

Post a Comment

FOLLOW BY EMAIL